Friday, July 7, 2017

Day 10: Going Home

So I may be a day late, but the last day will be written. We had to leave our sweet condo on the northern tip of Maui.

Napili is a quieter part of the island and just where we enjoy spending time. We woke, packed, had our last island breakfast, and drove to the airport. Look at our sad faces 😥

We found these little friends at the airport. Funny how chickens are all over the island of Kauai but we didn't see too many on Maui. These were the first, and the second.

We got to the airport early so we had some time to eat some lunch and sit down where the twins, Todd, and the grandparents watching weightlifting. Interesting to find that on TV. Emily and I listened to Podcasts at the gate.

So off we flew. The flight was quick and we landed early in SFO. 25 minutes early, which was a blessing since we still had to drive home to Sac.

Since we were heading home in the dark, the kids went to sleep and the quiet of driving got me thinking. I began thinking about our next vacation. I plan. I'm a planner. This is why I love driving. The quiet of the road lets my mind wander. I've seen this quote before and it got me thinking...

I don't think that we escape our lives by going on vacation. I think we live them. We travel to explore new places and see new things. We discover ourselves when we are away from the chores of everyday life. Vacations allow us to let our brains rest for a bit and that actually improves thinking. Exploring new places leads us to research, plan, and learn about new places, people, and culture. Our kids are more open-minded because of what they've seen in the world around them.

So while I don't need to justify our vacations to anyone, this quote struck me as judgmental. We love spending time away and exploring new places, but other people love spending time at home, and that's fine too. I guess it's all fine as long as each of us is living the life we want. The life we choose. Until the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment